I use YouTube all the time. I love this tool because it is so versatile and it has pretty much everything. I chose to talk about this one – Yesterday, a song by The Beatles – because it is particularly useful. This is a karaoke version which I can be projected onto the white wall/board and show students the words for my chosen song. SS can sing or just read it. The letters are large and they move slowly according to the melody of the song.
The negative aspects of using a sample online are the adverts which might be offensive or undesirable. However, this can be tackled by the teacher by checking the video beforehand and even using TubeChop to select the part of the video required.
On the other hand the barriers of using Youtube in the classroom for me are when students are accessing the computers as they will often go on to other websites like Facebook etc.
Another problem with using the web in the class is SS talking about other classmates and teachers through social networking sites. On one occasion, in an IT class, a student took a photo of the teacher and two classmates together in the frame and added a rude comment to the photo. That resulted in him being sent home and then transferred to another college.
I think that young students are not mature enough to evaluate the dangers and power of the internet and often are very unaware of its dangers. So, parents and teachers have the responsibility to monitor children’s usage. Also it is our responsibility to educate our children and learners about e-safety. Apart from that, YouTube and other sites are absolutely great for teaching! The internet has made teaching and learning a much more fun with infinite possibilities.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXHvnMZRGNQ
No comments:
Post a Comment